Tuesday, December 25, 2007

 

Update on backing up my ZX Spectrum games

Elsewhere on this blog I have described how I have backup up my ZX Spectrum cassettes to my PC, but tonight I had some trouble.

It has been a while since I backed up my tape collection, but I finally got round to it. Unfortunately, my trusty old cassette player seems to have been mysteriously damaged - the pinch wheel is unattached and the motor seems intermittently jammed too.

So, I connected my WHSmith Computer Program Data Recorder to my PC, but the .wav files produced could not be reliably decoded by MakeTZX.

After a couple of hours of messing about with stereo leads, mono lead, stereo/mono adapters, volume levels etc, the following concoction worked and I've managed to backup my Cronosoft collection:


  1. WHSmith Computer Program Data Recorder, with a volume setting of 4.8-ish

  2. A stereo/mono adapter in the LOAD socket

  3. The Spectrum's mono lead connecting the tape player to my MacBook's Line In socket

  4. Audacity recording the incoming .WAV file and exporting it to my PC as 8-bit Mono

  5. Running MakeTZX Foo.WAV -f on my PC

Labels: , , , , ,




Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?