Saturday, January 28, 2006

 

C5 gearbox greasing

I finally plucked up enough courage to grease the C5 gearbox today. I've been trying to find info via the web and newsgroups as to how to do this. People have offered various tips, but all seemed to assume that I had the motor/gearbox already out of the C5!

Here's how I did it:

  1. Bought some grease from Chris at C5 Alive

  2. Took the boot off the C5

  3. Loosened the nut to the top of the bolt, but not off it





  4. I was then able to grab hold of the silver body of the motor, and slide it to the right. In order to get it completely out of the motor clamp, I first had to drop the rightmost side downwards.

  5. Once it was out, the real fun starts. There are six white clips that hold the brown gearbox cap onto the end of the motor. I cut up an old plastic credit card (thanks to Chris at C5 Alive for this tip) horizontally across the middle, and inserted each half into three white plastic "fingers" (six in total):



    I had to use a small flat-headed screwdriver to lift each finger up while sliding the plastic card in. In the end I found it easiest to cut the cards again and do at most two "fingers" at a time.



  6. Once all retaining clips are held out of the way by the plastic, you can grab hold of the brown cap and pull. Try not to jump (like I did) when there's a pinging sound. I had a horrible moment here I thought a load of sprung gubbins had gone flying round my garage, but it was just the plastic popping out :-)

    You now have something like this:









  7. I had a good look (twirled the shaft round) and the gears all looked lovely and clean (still greasy). I bet someone is going to tell me I should have completely stripped it out, removed any old grease first etc etc. If they do, I'll be out like a shot 'cos I can really do without my plastic gearbox melting the next time I pop into Sale for a four-pack of Bud. However, in the meantime, all I did was stick my finger, loaded with the best H1 food-safe lubricant I could get my digits on, into the middle of the gearbox (and the outer cap) and then put it all back together. Sounds lovely and greasy when the motor is engaged!

  8. I then slid the brown cap back on, slid the gearbox/motor back into the clamp, MAKING SURE IT WAS UP AGAINST THE STOPS SO THAT THE PINION WHEEL DIDN'T GET STRESSED AND SNAP OFF! I pointed the motor down at the left so that the pulley wheel went inside the belt, then tightened the nut back up.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?